Friday, February 1, 2008

Celery Smoothies and Social Predicaments

DAY 31

This morning I discovered that the "greens" department was lacking in funds and I'm not just talking about my bare little bank account, but rather the lower department of our fridge. So I put lots of celery in a lovely, peachy shake instead. You could never have been able to tell. I put some expensive bee pollen in and topped it with even more expesive hemp seeds so I guess you could call it the "Salary Celery Green, or not so green" smoothie (next time we'll find better deals, lol).

I guess you could say I was a little distressed at the thought of this evening. Even though it promised fun and good times, I was a bit worried of what to do. Why the cafluffle? We were going to a birthday party of a beloved cousin-in-love (skip the law part) Today was day 31 of raw, almost breaking my record and suddenly I would have to eat soup (probably good and healthy, but...cooked), ahhhh! What's a girl to do? I knew there would come a time when I have to good naturedly accept what's put before me, choose the healthiest dishes, and enjoy in order not be rude to the host. But sigh, I didn't want it to be today. I had already resigned myself to it, when my sister suggested, "Why don't you bring your own salad?" Bless her heart! "It wouldn't be rude?" I queried. "Well, they are family!" Good point. SO under the pretence that they are my family, I brought my salad and a piece of raw berry cobbler for dessert. It all worked splendidly. Barely anyone noticed me (I sat in the corner, lol) with my food. I had a great meal and my cousin asked about my raw food thing and was shocked that you could make "chicken nuggets", cobblers, Chinese food, or pizza raw. (And of course asked me about where I got my protein, lol) I didn't even say barely anything, one of my family members was telling about all the incredible food I could make out of raw stuff. So it was not an issue, at least, not this time. :0)


Now guess what I'm doing tomorrow? It's grapefruit season and I've been wanting to do this for a while, so while we have 3 boxes of grapefruits (big boxes) and a half a bag in the fridge...I'm going to do a 3-day grapefruit fast! YAY! Starting tomorrow. Not just that, but my sister Anne-Marie and my Mom are going to do it with me, well, just for the first day, but that's awesome. My only hope is that I won't get sick of grapefruits, because I absolutely adore them. I'll probably add other citrus to it on day 2 or 3 (oranges, pineapple, lemon). I'll let myself have some coconut water tomorrow morning that I still have in the fridge. I guess I have to hold off on my Kombucha till it's done. Yes! I said Kombucha! I just started drinking it a few days ago and I love it. Well, that's a whole 'nother blog post and I need to get off the PC.
Grapefruits here I come!

4 comments:

Rose said...

That's great that everything worked out with you at the b-day party. I also have to bring my own food sometimes but people are always very understanding especially when it comes to family.

I'm curious to try kombucha, what exactly does it taste like? In Ani Phyo's book, she says she drinks one with ginger in it. Do you actually have to brew your own or do you buy it already made?

Charis said...

I do my own now, but there are places you can buy it if you do a little web searching (such as Syneregy kombucha, a raw drink). It tastes like a half flat pop and is fizzy. I really like it, but you really do have to let it grow on you. Since the first day I drank it I like it way more, the first day I was a bit uncertain about it.
Yes, my family is so great, so supportive and that means tons to me.

shannonmarie said...

I like the smoothie and its name. You're very creative.

Charis said...

Thanks, Shannonmarie, but I must say...you're the Creative Queen! You recipes and photos inspire me.